Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Indian Mesa

Last Monday I didn't have school so I drove up to Indian Mesa to go hiking. It is about 20 miles north of Phoenix and was a nice 6 mile hike. I loved the view of the lake and walking around the walls of the old dwellings and wondering what life must have been like. It must have been horrible to carry water up from the river!


This is the longest arm of the lake extending up the river. Lucky for us, about a quarter mile further up, the river was dry. You have to park on the other side of the river and walk across the river, so if it is full, you can't get to Indian Mesa. Just two days later this river would have been impassable. We got TONS of rain and snow in the mountains last week, 4 inches in the valley and 4 feet of snow in Flagstaff. This put the river 5 feet above flood stage to a depth of 20 feet!! I couldn't believe it as I'd just walked across the dry bed earlier in the week. I'm excited to go back and see what the high water did to the area
And yes, there was an accident with the clippers and my hair came off. It's actually growing on me though, and makes life alot more simple, something I can really use while in med school! Seems practical as a physician anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Your Hair!!! now you'll have hours of free time. You should Bic-it since it's already so short, and try a wax and polish too.

    ReplyDelete