Friday, January 8, 2010

Botanical Gardens

Over Thanksgiving break I went and toured the Botanical Gardens here in downtown Phoenix. It was awesome with a wide array of plants and history of the natives and how they utilized these plants. I was excited to move to Phoenix to learn more about the plants that grow here, but I have been absolutely amazed at the diversity of life in this desert! I never thought I could fall in love with cactus so much! I can't even express my fascination. I'm hooked, for life.
Some barrel cactus and a saguaro
I can't remember the name but I loved this one!
Monarchs :)
Mistletoe growing in a palo verde tree! I was amazed mistletoe grew here, as I always pictured it as a plant that grew in cool moist climates like ireland. Since then I have noticed it everywhere!
Organ pipe cactus, a desert staple
I liked the look
I loved this snakey one on the ground. Watch your step!
Pretty sure it's from another planet. I didn't get a picture of an adult one, but they get super tall! Some are at least 50 feet tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment