Friday, August 21, 2009

Monsoon season

Tonight there was a pretty awesome thunderstorm!  Tons of lightning, tons of rain, and very high winds.  We got caught driving in the storm and we came across streets that had turned into rivers and entire palm trees that had snapped in half in the wind laying across the road.  I felt like I was in a hurricane!  Weather events like this excite me so once the worst of it passed we drove up camelback to try and get some pictures.  I was really wishing I had LaRell's camera, but this is the best I could do with my lousy camera phone.
Just the city lights without a lightning flash


It was dark and hard to take pictures but this was water rushing down the street about three to eight inches deep carrying all sorts of rock and dirt.  You can see the water splashing up over the hood of the BMW X5 we were in.  We lost traction and could feel the car shift several times and I was glad it didn't get worse.  I guess they weren't kidding about the urban flash flood warning!  Never would have thought flood insurance would be needed in Phoenix, but I sure hope the homes we drove by did!

No comments:

Post a Comment