Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The man pictured here is Dr. Koshrow Semnani. He came to speak to us in my Introduction to Medical Professions class. I was deeply impressed with his presentation, his words, and what he has done. Dr. Koshrow Semnani grew up in Iran and came to America on a scholarship and didn't speak a word of English. He taught himself English as he attended Weber State University and graduated at the top of his class in Biochemics. He then attended the University of Utah medical school and has sense established the ONLY free medical clinic in the Salt Lake Valley. There is one other free clinic but to qualify, you must be homeless. The clinic Dr. Koshrow Semnani established is called Maliheh Free Clinic, and is aimed to treat the non homeless without insurance in Salt Lake. Every doctor and person that works there are volunteers and are paid nothing. Supplies are donated or paid for by donations. Check out the website at http://www.malihehfreeclinic.org/ One of my favorite things he said was when he read a Muslim proverb about a man praying to God asking how to best praise him. God then replies to him, "you can sing praises to me all night, or give away all your money, but the single thing that pleases me the most is when you open the door to someone who is hopeless." His efforts are highly commendable and in my mind, helped establish a standard against which I can measure myself and what kind of doctor I want to be. I want to be opening doors to the hopeless, and give them new hope and a better life... and in my case a more colorful one :)

2 comments:

  1. Tyson,
    Thanks for commenting on my blog. I agree, hoar frost makes the world a breathtaking place. We have had lots of hoar frost this year. Love it!
    Sounds like you have been inspired lately on what you want to do with your career. What you wrote sure sounds like these men are doing such a great work. Out of small things (like giving sight to just one child) proceedeth that which is great! Good luck on your career path. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool. I'm glad that you feel inpired with what you want to do with work. :) It is good to have direction and a sense of purpose in what you do.

    ReplyDelete